Digital marketing trends in China are very dynamic, changing and shifting
Statistics on digital behaviors in China
Marketing strategies and users’ behaviors and needs naturally have to pair.
- 668 million internet users.
- 594 million mobile internet users.
- 659 million social media users (nearly 99% of the internet users).
- 574 million mobile social media users.
- + 100,000 new users on the internet each day.
Further research found out that:
- QQ instant messaging, Qzone and WeChat were the most-used Chinese social media networks
- The popularity of mobile chat apps kept on growing among users.
- Popular uses for mobile devices include checking the weather, m-commerce, instant messaging, using mobile payment services and travel bookings.
- One out of three internet users use their mobile to buy products, or monthly services. Peaks appear in November, during the Double 11 Festival.
Popular marketing trends
- Use of multiple content tools increase, with popular ones -according to a PR Newswire survey- including news releases, websites or mini-sites, and social medias such as Weibo or WeChat.
- Use of traditional channels is reduced, as marketing becomes more interactive and visual, and as the use of social Medias, websites, images, and videos grows.
- Adopting new digital media for brand communication, media attention, increasing web traffic, improving brand loyalty, and making more product sales is an important tendency.
- Higher use of social media to connect and engage with audiences and to invite user participation.
- Increase in the use of tools to induce emotion, such as moving videos, humor and entertainment.
- Use of ‘image ambassadors’ or opinion leaders to promote brands.
- LBS (Location Based Service) technologies increase their importance.
Making the most of current trends
To do simple
Traditional methods of marketing and advertising are not anymore in vogue right now, that’s a fact.
We notice a strong shift towards connection, engagement, interaction and fun, the new tendency and especially in China.
Marketers mainly look for a conclusive achievement: a greater brand loyalty and product or service sales.
Tips to enter the trends
- Getting to know the mindset and needs of your target audiences. Use this a basis for your digital marketing strategies.
- Developing an understanding of the power of marketing referrals / word-of-mouth marketing in China.
- Building a Chinese website. Optimizing it for mobile use is even better.
- Spending time to become familiar with the various Chinese social networks, so you can develop different strategies for the ones you intend to use as marketing tools.